Highlights of West Bloomfield Township Boat Docking and Storage Requirements
– DOCKS –
On a residentially zoned waterfront lot, an accessory boat dock shall only be permitted accessory to a one-family dwelling located on the same lot. No dock shall be permitted on a vacant lot. All docks shall comply with the following regulations:
- Watercraft moored at a permitted dock shall be registered/owned or licensed to the owner or occupant of the residential dwelling to which such dock is accessory.
- Docks shall not extend more than 50 feet beyond the water’s edge.
- Docks shall not impede upon boat traffic area of the waterway.
- Seasonal docks installed pursuant to the requirements and standards of Section 12-92(5) of the West Bloomfield Township Code of Ordinances are permitted and do not require a permit.
- Permanent docks may be installed after obtaining a use permit from the Environmental Commission provided the dock is installed pursuant to the requirements and standards of Section 12-91 of the West Bloomfield Townships Code of Ordinances.
– STORAGE –
RIPARIAN LOTS (WATERFRONT):
On a residentially zoned waterfront lot occupied with a one-family dwelling, off-season (Nov. 1– Mar. 31) storage may be permitted as follows:
- No more than two boats and/or watercraft together with their trailers may be stored in the lake yard. If storage in the lake yard is not feasible, storage may be permitted in the side or street yard subject to the regulations in Section 10-103 of the West Bloomfield Township Code of Ordinances.
- Docks, boat lifts, and boat hoists may be stored only in the lake yard.
- Permitted storage shall comply with the regulations in Section 10-103 of the West Bloomfield Township Code of Ordinances.
NON-RIPARIAN LOTS (NON-WATERFRONT):
The owners of all developed residential lots within a subdivision having Township approved or officially recognized access to, a navigable watercourse for boating purposes may petition the Planning Commission to permit outdoor storage of not more than two boats and/or watercraft together with their trailers subject to the requirements of Section 10-104 of the West Bloomfield Township Code of Ordinances.
No storage shall be permitted off-season until the subdivision has obtain Planning Commission approval.
This is a current summary of West Bloomfield Code of Ordinances – Please visit their website for more information.