Middle Straits Lake Improvement Association

Minutes

MINUTES
MSLIA BOARD MEETING
Wednesday, March 10, 2020
7:00 PM, Eastern Time
Zoom

  1. Called to Order at 7:05 PM. Present: Pete S, Greg A, Mike C, Matt B, Bob B, Jeff C, Chip C, Sean H
  2. Minutes were approved from the February meeting.
  3. Presidents Report: Saw 7 Sandhill Cranes on the lake. The Winter party was well attended. Ice is no longer safe.
  4. V.P. Report: Ordered 10 each light and dark die-cut stickers. The cost was $5 each so will need to sell for $6 or more.
  5. Secretary Report: No reports.
  6. Treasurers Report: Provided written report. We will be down to about $2,500 in checking at end of the year after paying for fireworks, weeding, and expenses. Greg asked about MLSA membership, we haven’t paid dues in a couple of years, will refer to Al.
  7. Standing Committee reports

    a. Social – We signed a contract with Gen X Fireworks to perform a show on July 9th . Cost was $12,500 + WB permit fee of around $1,000. They will provide a barge and patrol boat. Need to post date on FB and website. Pete to solicit sponsorship from Twin Beach Market. Baypointe was not interested in sponsoring. T-shirts with sponsor names is still an option. Also golf outing still an option, but need help from the committee. July 4th is the boat parade and we will ask members what date for the summer party: Aug 7, 14 or Sept 4. It will be afloat party in the bay again.
    b. Water Quality/Ecology – Cody contacted Mike Mogle. We will contract for 3 days, 3 machines (or equivalent) for $8,200 for this year. Will need to solicit other bids for next year. Need Al to contact Michigan Lakes and Streams and reinstate our membership and check on lake monitoring for this year.
    c. Lake Safety – Bob B – Ice is not safe. Trying to use birdseed as fish food. Will let us know how it turns out.
    d. Public Relations – Absent
    e. Associations – Sean said most of TBCA activities are on hold but they will have their tag day and issue new keys in the spring.

  8. New Business – Westacres approved moving forward with an assessment of their members to hire legal counsel to represent them in their marina permit process. They are raising about $90,000 to take care of this. Matt needs to check the Go Fund Me as it’s not active. We really want people to just donate via PayPal or directly via check so we don’t pay fees.
  9. Old Business – Westacres application for a marina will require a public meeting and we will need to inform our members when this is scheduled. Also, Westacres still has not paid the previous 2 years assessment, and once this year comes due in June we will determine what
    property to lien, still thinking the Credit Union is our best option. The second would be Boy Scout Point since that could be converted to a park in the event that WA refuses to pay for an extended period. April meeting via Zoom again. Adjourned at 8:00 PM.